Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Feeling hot hot hot....

It is as hot as satan's man thong after a bowl of ghost peppers here...

It's 89 degrees right now and forecasters are predicting it to be 77 degrees at night... that's after the sun goes down. It's terrible for some, and awesome for some.

I'm one of those guys that loves the cold weather. I have a really strong... dislike for extremely warm weather. It's like my kryptonite; prolonged exposure to the rays of a yellow sun are devastating for me; of course, i'd trade my weakness for superman's weaknesses any day....

I can understand that children are able to enjoy the warm weather, since they sweat very little and have higher pulse rates. Plus, they're kids. But when I adults being able to lie down all day in the sun and do normal things in 90+ degree weather, I have to wonder about something:

What specific drugs are they using?
Where can I get them quickly?

Every summer causes me to realize more and more that I'm definitely a winter person. I absolutely love cool, cold weather conditions. I especially love it when it's all blizzard-y outside. There's some thing about the snow that can turn any neighborhood into something different...something more magical. It's as if the snow covers up all the details about the environment, and you start to imagine what the place would look like without all the snow.... Plus it's just cool to be able to jump off the garage roof and land safely in the huge pile of fluffy snow below... or maybe that's just me...


Anyways, in this type of weather, we tend to sweat alot. I've noticed something very interesting in regards to the perception of exertion while working out in extremely hot weather: many people feel that they actually burn more calories while working out in the blistering hot sun.

I think what's really happening is that the increased body temperature caused by the sun increases the perception of exertion during exercise: in other words, you feel like you're working harder because the sun is riding your back like a mule riding a little kitty kat...

If a person feels like they are doing more work than they really, and they are exercising, then isn't that a good thing? I think so, don't you?

Anyway, if you're one of those people that loves to play around when the sun is literally in your lap, then by all means, go for it. Just remember to drink plenty of water and apply sunscreen liberally.... that applies to people of all skin tones.

Sincerely,

Amir Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment