I'm so mad because I wasn't smart enough to bring a camera and take pictures... the only thing I have to prove that I actually took the trip is the stamp in my passport:(
For anyone that hasn't been to Montego Bay yet, or Jamaica for that matter, I feel absolutely confident in saying that when you decide to go down there and spend a week or two, it's going to be one of those things that you look back on in your life and be glad that you actually did it.
The one thing that stands out in my mind clearly is how amazingly beautiful the water is. Talk about blue... It's a vast difference from some of the beaches where i come from... Vast difference. The other awesome thing about the water is the fact that it was so warm. My nephew and I literally stayed in the water for hours and just marveled at the beauty of the surroundings. We spent alot of time hanging out at Doctor's Cave. This is a beach that's more tourist oriented, but it is amazing and you'll definitely want to spend some time there. They have some really good menu options as well. I thought the chicken fingers were amazing. They were very Juicy and spicy.
We spent much of our time hanging out at the local tourist spots, for the simple fact that even though we're Jamaican, we weren't born there and thus we weren't familiar with the area. We just reasoned that it's best to stick with what we did know. You can't go wrong with brilliant sunshine, beautiful water and amazing views of the mountains, and the simple fact that you can walk around with a beer in your hands without being harassed by the cops!!!
This one little aspect of the trip really blew my mind wide open. If you're from the states, then you know that its illegal to walk around with a alcoholic beverage that's open. In Montego Bay, walking around with Beer is as natural as seeing a kid walk around with a lopsided ice cream cone.
Another ting that really stood out to me was the fact that I felt like I really was in another world. Sure, the economy is still in development, and the place does need lots of help from more developed nations like the U.S.A., but for the most part, the people are very friendly and gracious.
Oh yeah.... WE RODE JETSKIS!!!!! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! I can't fully describe the feeling of riding a jetski at 90 miles an hour, skipping over the water like a rock, with the wind pushing my cheeks back like a bulldog.... If you go to Jamaica, you absolutely have to RIDE THE JETSKIS!!!! Plan to ride them. It's 50 bucks for a half an hour, and I felt like it was worth every single penny. The really awesome thing is that the JetSki that I was originally riding had some sort of mechanical problem, which had absolutely nothing to do with me even though I had never rode one before that moment.... So the guy who gives you the quickie lesson on JetSki riding had to give me one of the jetskis that the pros ride, so long story short, I was hallin' ass on this jetski, maxing it out at 90 miles per hour. If I had the money, I would have rode that damn jetski all day for the entire week.
Another thing you absolutely HAVE TO DO is eat lots and lots of beef patties. The ones that I get in the state are NOTHING compared to the fresh beef patties I tasted while I down there. You have to realize that many of the beef patties that we eat in the states are made in Jamaica and shipped here. Jamaica is the source. We ate beef patties from TASTEE'S, which is a franchise down there. They serve Other things, but beef patties are the centerpiece around which the franchise is built. There is nothing so sweet as to eat a beef patty that was freshly made AND that is just coming out of the oven. Okay, there are some things that are better, but few things can compare, as far as I'm concerned. Make sure you visit Tastees at least 10 time before you leave the place.
We wanted to Visit Rick's Cafe in Negril, but we got there too late and the place was rained out. We never gt a chance to go back. I was sort of relieved in a way, because my Nephew kept trying to convince me to jump off the friggin cliff. I don't have a problem with jumping off of anything; the only objection that i have is that I CAN'T FRIGGIN SWIM!!! Not yet at least, but it's something I'm working little by little, so that next year, I can easily Jump from the tree that on the edge of the cliff repeatedly.
Oh yeah, the driving. Word of caution to the wise: If you've never driven in jamaica, DON'T. To me, every time we had to travel somewhere by car, I felt as though we were on a friggin NASCAR track, and the people around us were trying to get into first place or something. It was scary. In Montego Bay, driving is a skill that you must develop before attempt to go out on the road.
As for the night life, there are tons of awesome places to check out. The amazing thing is that in Montego Bay the beaches stay open 24 hours a day. It's just that after 6pm or 7pm, the life guards go home, and if you can't swim, it's best not to venture out too far into the water, or you might wash up back on American shores.... 3 years later and bloated to the point where a person can pop you with a pin... if you get my point.
All in all, the trip was amazing and I;m grateful for the fact that I got to stay with my brother in law and his sister in the beautiful home in Montego Bay. Big shout out to sandy for her amazing cooking and amazing hospitality. She's the best host anyone body could ever ask for.
Big shout out to Mike for taking us everywhere we wanted to go. He took us out and showed where to go... and where not to go. With him to drive us around, we saved lots of money and had even more fun.
The only thing that I regret is not being able to visit Ochos Rios. I hear that the place is GORGEOUS and I can't wait to hang out there next year.
My words just don't do the place justice. I learned a couple of things from my time there:
1) Always have some sort of camera on hand
2) Do our homework so that you are aware of the prices of the things that you want to do
3) Don't spend more money than you have to. Get all the essentials while you in the states, because some of the tourist shops will charge you and arm and both your legs. After all, they are just trying to make money.
Sincerely,
Amir Campbell
No comments:
Post a Comment