Most common answer...
"Because it was the only thing in the house!!!"
I was sitting on the couch watching "Twilight" for the 50th !@#$%ing time with my nieces, and I got a small case of the munchies.
For some odd reason, I felt COMPELLED to reach for the open bag of Lay's chips that we have lying around here. As soon as I looked at the bag, I felt the craving inside of me... Sometimes I feel like my appetite is like a Hungry, Ravenous wolf... and My conscious mind.... the part of me that knows better... the part of me that knows that this isn't healthy.... the part of me that is normally in complete control... loses it's grip for one instant and....
GULP!!!
I've gone through 3 0r 4 handfuls of Lay's, and my lips and hands are greasy, and consequently, my shirt and pants follow suit ( Remember, I'm still a guy, so I'm entitled by the forces of the universe to be sloppy...)
Have you ever felt compelled to eat something that you KNOW you shouldn't eat.... I think we all have that one food that sort of MAKES YOU HUNGRY when you LOOK at it... It's like, you're looking at that one food, and all of a sudden, you find yourself salivating uncontrollably... and the more you resist the urge to dig and enjoy, the more you find yourself CRAVING this food....
NOW....
What can we do about that?
One thing that helps is to realize that it's okay to eat certain things in moderation. If you want some fries, go ahead and eat them, and pay attention to how much you eat.
One other thing that can help is to REALIZE that you crave those so called " dangerous foods" because of the fat content. It's the fat in foods that gives it that creamy... delicious texture. Fat is satisfying, so we naturally want to eat it. That's one of the reasons why we like ice cream so much, because of the RICH, CREAMY feeling we get from eating. Fat floats when it gets into your stomach, and is the last thing to be digested.
Another that really helps is to STOP... and take a few deep breaths... in through the nose.... and out through the mouth, about 5 or 6 times. This will help you clear your mind and give you the willpower to MAKE A BETTER CHOICE. in the food you eat.
One thing that really helps is when you BECOME AWARE of the fact that many times when you THINK you are hungry, your body is actually telling you that YOUR THIRSTY.
So...
The next time you feel a uncontrollable urge to eat that food that you KNOW you shouldn't eat, keep in mind your fitness goals and ASK YOURSELF:
"Is this going to help me become fitter, leaner, and stronger?"
If the answer is no, then ASK YOURSELF:
"What else can I eat that is healthy and will help me become fitter and leaner?"
Listen closely to the answers you get and take action on them. If you have to HOP IN THE CAR and go to the grocery store, then so be it. What's more important: The gas your going to put into your car or.... The gas your going to put into your body?
NOW...
Another thing that you want to pay attention to is portion sizes and their effect on your ability to function properly. Are there certain foods that cause you to feel sluggish or sleepy AFTER you eat them? Do you notice this sluggish FEELING after eating a meal of a certain size?
If you notice that you feel sleepy after a meal, notice the portion size and make adjustments. Reduce and increase the portion sizes of each macro nutrient(Protein, carbs, Fats) until you find the right portion size for YOU.
Good health and consistently high energy levels are mainly dependent on knowing what foods energize you, make you feel sleepy, in what quantity they make you feel sleepy or energized, and portion size. It's also a matter of experience and experimentation.
I have a friend that gets sleepy everytime he eats a meal that he considers heavy. That's so not cool when you have to travel 20 miles back and forth to turn people's electricity on/off.
When you understand what makes your body feel energized and what doesn't, then you move one step closer to unlimited energy and vitality.
Have Fun,
Amir Campbell
Certified Personal Trainer
No comments:
Post a Comment